Frito-Lay’s “sustainability showcase” options Tesla Semis, electrical vans, photo voltaic+storage
Frito-Lay, a division of PepsiCo, is remodeling its Modesto, California, facility into “a showcase for sustainable manufacturing, warehousing and distribution applied sciences.”
The 80-acre, 500,000-square-foot Modesto web site, considered one of Frito-Lay’s largest manufacturing amenities within the US, options a number of lessons of EVs, together with on-site photo voltaic vitality technology, storage and EV charging stations.
Inexperienced goodies in service on the facility embrace:
- 12 Crown Li-ion electrical forklifts
- An unspecified variety of Tesla Semis, and 4 Tesla 750 kW charging stations
- Six Peterbilt 220EV electrical field vans that present last-mile supply to the Modesto group
- 1-megawatt photo voltaic carport and 1 megawatt price of rooftop photo voltaic panels
- 2.7 megawatt-hours of on-site battery storage
- 7 dual-head EV charging stations for workers
In 2021, the location sourced 100% of its electrical energy from renewable sources. On-site solar energy supplies as much as 20 % of the ability’s each day vitality use. Workers obtain on-the-job coaching in working and sustaining the brand new tools.
“The transformation at Modesto is in direct assist of our PepsiCo Constructive (pep+) dedication to constructing a round and inclusive worth chain and attaining web zero emissions by 2040,” stated Steven Williams, CEO of PepsiCo Meals North America. “To this point, the transformation has resulted in a 91 % discount in greenhouse fuel emissions from direct fleet operations.”